India hands over three terror-related dossiers to Pak, says won't shut doors on talks

Subscribe to Oneindia News

New Delhi, Feb.25 (ANI): India on Thursday handed over three terror-related dossiers to a Pakistan delegation led by Foreign Secretary Salman Bashir, and firmly called on Islamabad to act decisively against terrorists operating from its soil.

Briefing media after foreign secretary-level talks held at Hyderabad House here, Foreign Secretary Nirupama Rao informed that the three dossiers handed over included the following:

The first one related to action to be taken against the perpetrators of the 26/11 attack on Mumbai, including Hafiz Saeed and Lashker operatives Muzzamil, Abu Hamza, Abu Khafa and Usman. New Delhi demanded that these individuals be handed over to it. India also asked Pakistan to hand over Lashker commander Sajjid Mir, retired Army Major Iqbal and one more person for questioning as they were still suspects in the 26/11 attack.

The second dossier related to the threats issued by Muhammad Ilyas Kashmiri, the operational chief of the Harkat-ul Jihad Islami (HuJI) and al Qaeda's Brigade 313, against sportspersons visiting India for the hockey world cup, the Indian Premier League and the Commonwealth Games.

The third dossier contained the list of fugitives from India law believed to be residing in Pakistan. New Delhi also demanded the handing over of seven Khalistani militants and 17 Indian Mujahideen terrorists, including five Pakistani nationals.

Stressing on the importance of the talks between both countries, Ms. Rao said India's invite to Pakistan to hold talks on February 25 was in keeping with the government's firm belief that "we must not shut the door on a dialogue between both countries."

"My invitation to the Pakistan Foreign Secretary was in keeping with the Government of India's firm conviction that we must not shut the door on dialogue with Pakistan, and that such dialogue, if it gathers momentum, holds tremendous potential for the progress and well-being of the people of our region," Ms. Rao said.

"The sincere and genuine efforts we have made in past years in this direction have, however, been repeatedly thwarted by acts of terrorism, culminating in the barbaric attack in Mumbai. The Mumbai attack erased the trust and confidence that the two countries had painstakingly built during the period 2004-07. The recent Pune attack, which is still under investigation, is yet another reminder that our citizens remain vulnerable to terrorist violence," she added.

She described her talks with the Pakistan foreign secretary as cordial, constructive and transparent.

Reiterating New Delhi's consistent stand that Pakistan has not gone forward or far enough in dealing with the masterminds and perpetrators of the 26/11 attack, Ms. Rao acknowledged the existence of a trust deficit between the two governments, but said she had raised the issues of 26/11 probe, the roles of Jamaat-ud-Dawa chief Hafiz Saeed and Illyas Kashmiri, the Pune blast and the beheading of Sikhs by the Pakistan Taliban with her Pakistani counterpart.We had a useful discussion, during which I spelt out forthrightly our concerns on terrorism emanating from Pakistan against India. I told my Pakistani counterpart that terrorism cannot advance any cause, but the cause of senseless violence and that it is the solemn duty of states to eliminate all terrorist groups, operating from their soil, regardless of their ideology or agenda," the Indian foreigtn secretary said.

"While acknowledging the steps taken so far by Pakistan to bring the Mumbai perpetrators to book, I pointed out that these did not go far enough to unravel the full conspiracy behind the Mumbai attack and to award exemplary punishment to all culprits. I stressed the importance of expeditious action by Pakistan on these issues," she added.

She said that Pakistan was informed that India had also taken a serious note of Jamaat-ud-Dawa rallies. (ANI)

Please Wait while comments are loading...