Oz politician says 'Scandal-hit Tiger Woods should not be lured back to Melbourne'

Subscribe to Oneindia News

Melbourne, Feb. 23 (ANI): Australian politician Peter Ryan has said that ace golfer Tiger Woods should be disqualified from receiving taxpayer dollars to play in Victoria because of his infamous transgressions.

The Nationals leader's comments have come at a time when the state government is considering spending millions to lure Woods back to Melbourne.

"To be committing to Tiger Woods' return at this point in time is not the right thing to do. People in the public arena, in whatever form, whether they like it or not, are role models. It applies particularly to the case of Tiger Woods," The Age quoted Ryan, who is deputy Coalition leader, as saying.

Ryan said Woods was undoubtedly a master golfer but the government should wait to see how he dealt with the issues.

Recently, Woods apologised to his wife, family and fans for his extra-marital affairs in a press conference that beamed live across.

Last year, he was paid a three million dollar appearance fee to play at November's Australian Masters - half of which Victorian taxpayers reportedly funded.

According to a report by the state government, the Melbourne tournament, which Woods won, injected more than 34 million pounds into the state's economy.

Tourism and Major Events Minister Tim Holding said Ryan must think he was the "moral police shadow minister" as he supported taxpayers' money being used to lure the best sportspeople only if they had a perfect private life.

"He thinks that formula 1 drivers, AFL footballers, cricketers, tennis players, jockeys and cyclists should go through a morality test before being allowed to compete in Melbourne," he said. (ANI)

Please Wait while comments are loading...