Centre expects Maoists to come for talks without mediators

Subscribe to Oneindia News

New Delhi, Feb 23 (ANI): Union Home Ministry on Tuesday ruled out any space for mediators between Centre and Maoists and said that it expects them (Maoists) to come on their own for talks.

Home Ministry sources said that talks are a long-term process. In a later stage Maoists can suggest any individual or organisation as their representative to carry out talks with the Government.

But at this stage the Centre expects Maoists to come on their own, sources added.

On Monday, evening while making ceasefire announcement Maoists leader Mallojula Koteshwar Rao alias Kishenji said human rights activists and social workers can mediate between Government and Maoists.

The Ministry also described the 72-day long ceasefire offered by the Maoists as a ploy to regroup.

Sources further said that Maoists could be facing pressure from some groups to initiate talks.

Earlier in the day Union Home Minister P. Chidambaram asked Maoists to abjure violence completely and make a statement committing themselves to unconditional talks.

In a statement Chidambaram said: "I would like a short, simple statement from the CPI (Maoist) saying we will abjure violence and we are prepared for talks."

"I would like no ifs, no buts and no conditions. I would like the statement to be faxed to 011-23093155. Once I receive the statement, I shall consult the Prime Minister and other olleagues and respond promptly," he added. (ANI)

Please Wait while comments are loading...