Shiv Sena withdraws ban on Aussie players

Subscribe to Oneindia News

Shiv Sena withdraws ban on Aussie players
Mumbai, Feb 17: Probably sensing that it threats may have no affect, as it prove out in case of Shah Rukh Khan's film 'My Name Is Khan', the Shiv Sena on Tuesday, Feb 16 withdrew its ban on Australian players' participation Indian Premier League (IPL) Season three.

Sounding miffed at the being criticised for the ban, Shiv Sena Chief Bal Thackeray did not hide his displeasure while announcing the party's decision.

""If no one is bothered about the issue then why should we get into this. It has become a crime to speak in favour of national pride. Then why do we oppose Australia and IPL?" Thackeray asked.

Explaining its decision Thackeray said that the party decided to withdrew their opposition after persuasion from the Indians in Australia.

"We opposed Australia for attacks on Indians in that country. However, Indian brothers living in Australia asked us to lift the ban as it would aggravate their problems," the Shiv Sena chief said.

However, the change in Sena's attitude is believed to be the outcome of the meeting between Thackeray and the Union Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar and BCCI President Shashank Manohar on Feb 7.

Earlier on Tuesday, Feb 16, Maharashtra Chief Minister had announced that the government would provide adequate security to the Australian players and to  others players, participating in IPL 3.

Chavan ridiculed Sena's threat saying that 'he was not scared of those who issue threats repeatedly'.

OneIndia News

Please Wait while comments are loading...