Marjah (Afghanistan), Feb 15: In an incident which speaks volumes about the threats to civilians in the US offensive against Taliban, twelve Afghans civilians were killed as the NATO rockets missed target and hit a house in Marjah on Sunday, Feb 14.
Expressing remorse on the incident Gen Stanley McChrystal, the top commander in Afghanistan said that they have sought President Hamid Karzai's apology for the unfortunate occurence.
"We deeply regret this tragic loss of life. The current operation in central Helmand is aimed at restoring security and stability to this vital area of Afghanistan. It's regrettable that in the course of our joint efforts, innocent lives were lost, " McChrystal said.
McChrustal informed that use of rocket have been suspended until the incident is reviewed.
The incident too place when the two rockets from a High Mobility Artillery Rocket System went 1,000 feet (300 meters) off their target and struck a house instead of hitting the insurgents firing at Afghan and NATO forces.
A statement informing about the death of ten members of a family was issued by President Karzai even as he had earlier appealed for the safety of the civilians to the Afghan and foreign military leaders.
Karzai has sought an investigation into the firing.