Kabul, Feb 15: The NATO-led forces has claimed that they have gained control over strongholds of the Taliban militants in Afghanistan.
Mohammed Dawood Ahmadi, a spokesman for Helmand province's governor said, Afghan and NATO forces had set up 11 outposts across Marjah and two in the neighbouring town of Nad Ali.
The forces, including the US, Afghan and British troops, killed 27 militants and seized crucial positions across Marjah as part of the operation 'Mushtarak' (together) launched on Saturday, Feb 13.
According to The News report, soldiers began patrolling, searching door-to-door for weapons and fighters. This phase of the operation, considered the most dangerous, is expected to last at least five days.
One American and a British marine soldier were reported killed by small-arms fire. NATO officials said that no civilian casualties had been reported.
The combined forces also held meetings with local Afghans and asked for help in finding Taliban and hidden bombs in the area.