In Jan 2009, Southhall-based Lakhvir Singh served the curry laced with Indian aconite, a poisonous plant, to 39-year-old Lakhvinder Cheema. Cheema died hours after eating the dish.
Reason behind the woman's anger? She was spurned by Cheema and was all set to marry his fiancee Gurjeet Choongh in a Valentine's Day ceremony in 2009.
Cheema and 22-year-old Choongh got engaged in Nov 2008, after which Singh went to India and returned three weeks later.
Pronouncing the judgment, Judge Paul Worsley said, "You set about a cold and calculating revenge. You were not just a spurned lover, you did not simply explode in anger at your rejection."
Singh, however, was cleared of attempting to murder Choongh.
Choongh was also served the poisoned dish. She survived because she had consumed lesser quantity of the curry.