Itanagar, Feb 11: As many as twelve students, believed to be studying under candle light, were charred to death when an accident made way for a fire at a private hostel.
District magistrate of Kurung Kummpy, Remu Kemkei told a news agency, that twelve bodies have been recovered and eight people were injured in the fire.
"Right now, we are in the process of evacuating the injured by choppers to hospitals in Itanagar," Kemkei added.
The hostel made of bamboo and hay housed 62 students of a local branch of the Don Bosco chain of schools.
"We are investigating the cause of the fire but preliminary reports indicate that it could be an accidental fire as students were studying under candle light since there was no power supply," Kemkei said.
The incident took place at Palin in Kurung Kummpy district, 260 km north of state capital Itanagar.