According to a report in The Jakarta Post, the Indonesian man Andi Susanto, a resident of Bekasi near Jakarta, was riding a motorcycle when the cigarette 'exploded" in his mouth on Thursday, Jan 28.
Susanto who has been smoking since the time he was in elementary school told the newspaper that the 'traumatising' incident has prompted him to seriously consider kicking the butt.
“It was my third cigarette while traveling to work," the 31-year-old is quoted as saying.
This incident has not only left the man with scars but has also invited trouble for the company that produced the cigarette, Nojorono Tobacco Indonesia.
The family is of the victim is seeking compensation from the company.
While Nojorono Tobacco Indonesia maintains that there was no explosive material in the cigarette, the police are yet to ascertain the reason for explosion.