"New York is out. We're considering other options," an administration official was quoted in newspaper report.
The Obama administration abandoned its plan after the US lawmakers and business leaders against the administration's decision to try Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, who is currently in Guantanamo Bay, in New York.
"Moreover, New York City has been a high-priority target since at least the first World Trade Centre bombing in 1993. The trial of the most significant terrorist in custody would add to the threat," Senator Feinstein, chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee said.
She added that United States is not immune to terror threats and the foiled plane attack on Christmas eve should be seen as a continuation of terror plots by al-Qaeda and its affiliates.
"Without getting into classified details, I believe we should view the attempted Christmas Day plot as a continuation, not an end, of plots to strike the United States by al-Qaeda and its affiliates," said Senator Feinstein, chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee.
White officials said that they are committed to conduct the trial of Mohammed and the other defendants, detained in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba in a federal court and not in a military commission, as suggested by some in the Congress.
"Khalid Sheikh Mohammed is a murderous thug who has admitted to some of the most heinous crimes ever committed against our country. And the (US) President is committed to seeing that he's brought to justice. Currently our federal jails hold hundreds of convicted terrorists, and the President's opinion has not changed on that," White House deputy press secretary Bill Burton said on Thursday, Jan 28.
Earlier this week, New York City mayor Michael Bloomberg withdrew from the idea of holding the trial in the city, stating that it would create too much distress.