Holbrooke condemns Kabul attack

Subscribe to Oneindia News

New Delhi, Jan 18 (ANI): United States Special Envoy to Afghanistan and Pakistan, Richard Holbrooke on Monday condemned the series of attacks and the large explosion in Kabul.

In a coordinated commando-style operation on Monday, around twelve gunmen wearing suicide vests, attacked locations across Kabul, including banks and Afghan Government ministries.

The gunfire from street battles and loud explosions was heard across the capital.

There are reports that around 30 attackers were involved in the clashes that claimed between three and six lives.

The Taliban has reportedly claimed responsibility for the attack.

The Afghan forces have cordoned off parts of central Kabul.

Terming the Taliban as 'desperate' and 'ruthless', Holbrooke said : "It not surprising that the Taliban do this sort of thing. They are desperate and ruthless people. The people who are doing this will certainly not survive the attack, nor will they succeed."

"We can expect this sort of thing on a regular basis. They are part of a set of extremist groups operating in the border area between Afghanistan and Pakistan, and they do these desperate things all the times," Holbrooke added.

Hailing Pakistan's operation in the Swat region, Holbrooke further said, "We are very encouraged by the actions Pakistan is taking in Swat. I went to Swat a few days ago and I was very impressed with the progress."

In South Waziristan they have done things, but there are other issues that we have talked about which I hope to see more action on," he added.

Holbrooke is in India to hold talks with Indian officials to explain U.S. regional strategy. This is his first visit since US President Obama announced 30,000 extra troops for Afghanistan in December.

Monday's attack was the biggest in Kabul since last year, when gunmen had stormed the Justice Ministry and other government buildings. (ANI)

Please Wait while comments are loading...