New Delhi, Jan 13 (ANI): Defence Minister AK Antony, who had a meeting with Army Chief General Deepak Kapoor over the Sukhna land scam on Wednesday, said the Army Chief would launch disciplinary and administrative proceedings against all officials alleged to be involved in the scam.
Antony said his ministry had received the report on the land scam and the names of all officials involved.
Sources claim that General Deepak Kapoor may take only administrative action against the tainted Generals involved in the scam.
Earlier on Monday (January 11), sources claimed that General Deepak Kapoor had recommended initiation of administrative action against the Military Secretary and other senior Generals, who were indicted by the Court of Inquiry (COI).
Military Secretary Lt Gen Avadesh Prakash is to retire from the service on January 31.
Prakash is one of the eight principal staff officers (PSOs) at the Army Headquarters, who acts as an advisor to the Army Chief.
Earlier, in December 2009, the Eastern Army Command chief, Lt. Gen. V.K. Singh, had recommended a summary dismissal for Prakash.
The report also recommended initiating proceedings against Lt. Gen. P.K. Rath, whose appointment as deputy chief of army staff has been scrapped by the Defence Ministry.
It was reportedly learnt that General Kapoor's action came after coming under severe pressure by the Defence Minister A K Antony.
The proceedings of the Court Martial will also be initiated against Lt. Gen P K Rath, and Maj. Gen P C Sen, who were also allegedly indicted by the CoI report.
The Sukhna land scam involved the sale of civilian land adjacent to the Sukhna military station near Darjeeling.
The court of inquiry into the Sukhna land scam case, in which three other Army generals have been indicted, holds Lt General Prakash responsible for allegedly hiding information and taking undue interest in promoting the vested agenda of real estate developer and family friend Dilip Agarwal. (ANI)