Melbourne, Jan 12 (ANI): The Australian Supreme Court was informed that the trial of Indian origin doctor Jayant Patel should take less than the projected 12 weeks, which meant the trial should run for less time than had been expected.
Prosecutor Ross Martin, SC, told the Supreme Court that the Crown and defence had resolved a large amount of disputed material in the trial of former Bundaberg surgeon Jayant Patel.
He said there were still some issues to be resolved such as the words used in some witness statements.
Michael Byrne, QC, for Patel said he hoped written submissions would be enough for Justice John Byrne to determine some issues still in dispute, The Courier Mail reports.
However, as is the case in most trials much of the disputed material has been resolved by talks between the parties.
Patel, 58, a former surgeon at Bundaberg Base Hospital, will face a jury trial on three manslaughter and two grievous bodily harm charges from March 22.
He is charged with the manslaughter of James Phillips, Mervyn Morris and Gerardus Kemps. He also faces grievous bodily harm charges over surgery on Darcy Blight and Ian Vowles.
He is alleged to have committed the offences between 2003 and 2005. (ANI)