New Delhi, Jan 11: India has lost 'substantial' amount of land along the Line of Actual Control (LAC) in the last two decades to Beijing, according to an official report.
At a recent meeting held at Leh, Jammu Kashmir government, Union Ministry of Home Affairs and the Army have agreed that there was difference in the maps of various agencies.
The meeting was chaired by Commissioner (Leh) A K Sahu and attended, among others, by the 14 Corps Brigadier General Staff Brig Sarat Chand and Colonel Inderjit Singh.
Officials at the meeting said, "It is clear and accepted that we are withdrawing from LAC and our area has shrunk over a period of time. This process is very slow but we have lost substantial amount of land in 20-25 years."
The meeting also pointed out that "There is a lack of institutional memory in various agencies as well as clear policy on this issue which in the long run has resulted in loss of Indian territory in favour of China."
The report was filed by former sub divisional magistrate (Nyoma) Tsering Norboo.
Norboo said, "They (Chinese) have threatened the nomadic people, who had been using the Dokbug area (in Ladakh sector) area for grazing for decades, in a way to snatch our land in inches."
The SDM also contended that it was another attempt by the Chinese to term, and claim, the territory disputed in the same fashion as they had taken Nag Tsang area in 1984, Nakung in 1991 and Lungma-Serding in 1992.