Washington says no plans to open 'war on terror base' in Yemen

Subscribe to Oneindia News

Sana'a, Jan. 4 (ANI): Even as Washington closed its embassy in Yemen in the wake of escalating Al Qaeda threats, it is not planning to open a base here to expand the global war on terror, President Obama's top counterterrorism adviser has said.

"We're not talking about that (sending US troops to Yemen) at this point at all. The Yemeni government has demonstrated their willingness to take the fight to Al Qaeda. They're willing to accept our support. We're providing them everything that they've asked for," Fox News quoted White House aide John Brennan, as saying.

On Sunday, the U.S. and Britain closed their embassies in the Yemeni capital, Sana'a, citing security reasons.

"We're not going to take any chances. There are indications Al Qaeda is planning to carry out an attack against a target inside of San'a, possibly our embassy," Brennan said.

Brennan said the threat against Americans and Westerners would not ease until Yemen's government got a better handle on the threat from terrorists inside the country.

"We are very concerned about Al Qaeda's continued growth there. We're determined to destroy Al Qaeda whether it's in Pakistan, Afghanistan or Yemen-and we will get there," he said.

Brennan's comments came in the wake of the failed Christmas Day attack against a U.S. airliner by a 23-year-old Nigerian who received training and instructions from Al Qaeda operatives in Yemen.

President Barack Obama plans to return from his holiday vacation in Hawaii for a Tuesday meeting at the White House about the airliner plot.

Under the Pentagon's counterterrorism program last year, the U.S. gave Yemen 67 million dollars in training and support.

Obama said the money had been well spent: "Training camps have been struck, leaders eliminated, plots disrupted. And all those involved in the attempted act of terrorism on Christmas must know -- you too will be held to account." (ANI)

Please Wait while comments are loading...