New Delhi, Dec 24 (ANI): The Government has revealed that in 2009 the Naxal menace remained a major concern and it is serious concern over the growing naxal menace in some parts of the country.
Ministry of Home Affairs in the year-end review report has stated Naxal violence poses one of the gravest internal security threats before the country.
The report says in the current year(till November 30, 2009) the number of incidents of Naxal violence have been 2,016 compared to 1,452 incidents in the corresponding period last year. 514 civilians and 304 personnel of security forces have been killed compared to 444 civilians and 217 security forces killed in the corresponding period last year.
To deal with the menace in an effective and decisive manner, the Union Home Ministry has devised and approved a plan to take joint and co-ordinated action against Naxalites, reveals the report and states: "The action plan was prepared after wide-ranging consultations with the States including two conferences attended by the Chief Ministers of the Naxal-affected States."
The Home Ministry provided 58 CRPF battalions to the States for anti-Naxal duties.
In June 2009, the Communist Party of India (Maoist) was included in the Schedule of terrorist organisations under the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act, 1967. During the year the Home Ministry also approved to bring the Nizamabad district of Andhra Pradesh; Deogarh, Jaipur, Kondhamal, Dhenkanal and Nayagarh districts of Orissa and Kunti and Ramgarh districts of Jharkhand under the ambit of Security Related Expenditure Scheme, the report mentions.
In August, revised guidelines and package for surrender and rehabilitation of Naxalites were issued. The Central Scheme for Assistance to Victims and family of victims of terrorist and communal violence was extended to victims of Naxal violence, says the report.
The Centre also proved the full assistance of CPMFs to West Bengal to help restore the State writ in Lalgarh area, the year-end report states. (ANI)