Lockerbie bomber 'has only weeks to live'

Subscribe to Oneindia News

Tripoli (Libya), Dec. 21 (ANI): THE health of the Lockerbie bomber, Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed al-Megrahi, has deteriorated significantly in the past few days, according to the health centre treating him in Tripoli, Libya.

The first detailed report issued by Tripoli Medical Centre since Megrahi was released from a Scottish prison four months ago revealed he was admitted to hospital on Saturday suffering from vomiting and coughing.

According to The Scotsman, the report said that Megrahi's prostate cancer - which was previously revealed to be at an advanced stage - has spread to other parts of his body.

Megrahi was released from Greenock Prison on compassionate grounds on August 20 this year, and flown home to Libya after medical information seen by Scottish Justice Secretary Kenny MacAskill, which concluded that he had three months to live.

Cancer experts last night said the new details suggested doctors could do little more than offer pain relief to Megrahi.

Jim Swire, who lost his daughter in the bombing, said he had been told it was likely the bomber only had "a few weeks left".

The news comes as relatives and friends of the 270 people who died in the atrocity prepared to mark the 21st anniversary today.

The medical bulletin also reported that Megrahi was suffering from the after-effects of chemotherapy, including high blood pressure, muscle fatigue, sugar in the blood and weight gain.

A spokesman at the UK Prostate Cancer Research Centre in London said the diagnosis was serious. He added: "Once prostate cancer has spread, it becomes effectively incurable. (ANI)

Please Wait while comments are loading...