26/11 suspects challenge Pak indictment

Subscribe to Oneindia News

26/11 suspects challenge Pak indictment
Islamabad, Dec 13: Seven Pakistanis suspected of involvement in Mumbai terror attacks raised legal objections against their indictment on terrorism charges on Saturday, Dec 12, a defence lawyer said.

The objection postponed the commencement of the formal trial of the seven alleged militants linked to Lashkar-e-Taiba. The hearing has been adjourned until Dec 19.

The suspects were indicted late last month but defence lawyer Khawaja Sultan challenged the indictment by an anti-terrorism court, saying it refused to record statements from prosecution witnesses.

"We told the judge that this indictment was not based on charges framed by him but is based on those framed by a previous judge," Khawaja Sultan, defence lawyer was quoted by news agency as saying.

"We said this whole charge has become illegal," Sultan added.

India blames Pakistan-based militant group Lashkar-e-Toiba (LeT) for the Mumbai attacks and has broken off talks with its neighbour, saying Islamabad must first act against militants operating from its soil, including the LeT.

OneIndia News

Please Wait while comments are loading...