In the Jun 11, 2010 opening match host South Africa will clash against Mexico from Group A. Two former winners, France and Uruguay were also drawn into the same group.
With the 32 nations divided into eight groups of four teams, Group D constituting of Germany, Australia, Serbia, and Ghana, has particular surfaced as a tough group. Germany is expected to have a tough campaign with these contenders.
The month long tournament is scheduled to end on Jul 11, 2010, during which Johannesburg's Soccer City Stadium will be the key battleground where the opening match and the finals will be played on.
The draw was a 90-minute long elaborate ceremony featuring traditional African music and dances.
In the globally televised event, FIFA Secretary General Jerôme Valcke and South African-born actress Charlize Theron announced the random selection of teams for their round-robin tournament style groupings.
The final pairings are:
- Group A: South Africa, Mexico, Uruguay, France
- Group B: Argentina, Nigeria, Korea Republic, Greece
- Group C: England, USA, Algeria, Slovenia
- Group D: Germany, Australia, Serbia, Ghana
- Group E: Netherlands, Denmark, Japan, Cameroon
- Group F: Italy, Paraguay, New Zealand, Slovakia
- Group G: Brazil, Korea DPR, Côte d'Ivoire, Portugal
- Group H: Spain, Switzerland, Honduras, Chile
Adidas' official 2010 Match Ball, 'Jabulani' which means 'to celebrate' in Zulu was also introduced.