Melbourne, Nov.30 (ANI): A defiant West Indies cricket captain Chris Gayle has said that that he won't quit Test captaincy despite his team's humiliating innings and 44 run defeat to Australia in last week's Gabba Test.
According to Fox Sports, in a News Limited column, Gayle says he has the respect and support of his players and will not walk away from the captaincy.
"When you have a bad loss like this, it's to be expected that a lot of people are going to speculate over my captaincy. Some say I'm not the right person for the job. I've got a message for those people - I'm not going anywhere. My heart is in it and I feel really strongly that I am the right man to lead the West Indies through this challenging period, "Gayle writes.
"With my captaincy coming under fire, the really heartening thing for me is to see how I have respect from each and every one of the players in our squad. Times are tough, but I'm determined to be the strong captain the team needs right now," he adds.
While key batsman Ramnaresh Sarwan is likely to be fit for the second Test in Adelaide starting on Friday, fast bowler Jerome Taylor has been ruled out of the series and will return home.
Gayle said that West Indies batsmen will use the debut Test century of 19-year-old opener Adrian Barath to inspire them to turn things around.
"If a teenager in his first Test can do that sort of thing, it should drive the rest of our batsmen to produce some big scores," Gayle said.
Gayle also criticised cricket's controversial new video review system after twice unsuccessfully challenging his lbw decisions at the Gabba.
"I'm just not a fan of it, the new technology they have put in place still makes mistakes," Gayle said. (ANI)