Lahore, Nov.26 (ANI): Following the Pakistan Cricket Board's (PCB) request to allow cricketers to take part in the Indian Premier League's (IPL) third edition in 2010, the Sports Ministry has urged the government to grant permission for the same.
Pakistan Sports Minister Pir Aftab Jilani said the ministry has forwarded the PCB's applications in this regard to the Foreign Office.
"We have forwarded the PCB's request to the foreign office but there are several issues to be solved in this matter, primarily the security of the players," The Daily Times quoted Jilani, as saying.
He said players' security was the top most issue, and that the government would only allow them to visit India if the authorities there give an assurance in this regard.
"Last year the foreign office refused permission because of security and the stance has not changed. We need complete security assurances for our players before allowing them to play. If the PCB takes assurance from the stakeholders then the matter will be solved. We are positive on this but the procedure has to be followed," he added.
The IPL has extended the deadline for the Pakistan players to get government clearance till December 7.
The PCB, last week, said it allowed fast bowlers Umar Gul, Sohail Tanveer and all-rounder Abdul Razzaq to participate in the IPL, which Jilani termed a 'violation of government's rules'. (ANI)