New Delhi, Nov 25: In a sensational revelation to the serial blasts in Assam, Home Minister P Chidambaram said that the central govt failed to prevent the Nov 22 bombings in Assam despite having prior information about ULFA attack.
"In the past few weeks, we had received intelligence reports about the plans of ULFA to engineer bomb blasts in Nalbari and Guwahati districts. These reports were promptly shared with the Assam government and the state police," Chidambaram said.
Expressing regret,Chidambaram said that while security had been put on alert in two districts, the incident in Nalbari could not be averted.
He said that while one has been arrested in connection with the bombing, the state government is working on arresting nine other ULFA militants who is suspected to have infiltrated the state before the bombings.
Assuring an insurgent free state, Chidambaram said that 1,196 insurgents have been arrested till Nov 15, 2009 and atleast 282 kg of explosives and 630 weapons have been seized till Nov 22.
The Nalabari serial blasts had killed 7 people and left 35 others injured.