Murdoch may block search engines from using News Corp's content

Subscribe to Oneindia News

London, Nov 10(ANI): Aussie media mogul Rupert Murdoch has said he will try to block search engines from using news content from his companies.

Murdoch has said he will also explore methods to remove stories from Google's search indexes, including Google News, as he believes that search engines cannot legally use headlines and paragraphs of news stories as search results.

The 78-year-old has already signaled that the News Corp would begin charging for access to their websites within months, saying that quality journalism must come at a price.

"There's a doctrine called fair use, which we believe to be challenged in the courts and would bar it altogether. But we'll take that slowly," The BBC quoted Murdoch, as saying.

Murdoch had earlier revealed that plunging revenues from his newspapers had pushed the company into the red.

The plan to charge for online news is being hatched by a team of Murdoch's senior lieutenants, including his son James, and Rebekah Wade, the editor of The Sun.

The fees are expected to be introduced by the end of News Corp's financial year, which runs until next June. (ANI)

Please Wait while comments are loading...