Two children killed as major fire engulfs slum in Siliguri

Subscribe to Oneindia News

Siliguri, Oct 25 (ANI): Two children succumbed to a major fire that broke out in a slum colony during the early hours of Sunday in Siliguri.

An unattended burning lamp is being held responsible for causing the fire which quickly spread and engulfed almost all the 200 shanty houses of the Matangani Hajra Colony located at Tikiapara in Siliguri.

Since each of the hutments were adjoining with no space in between them, the fire engulfed all the houses.

A child that was rescued is reportedly in serious condition.

Seven fire engines were pressed into the service to contain the fire that started at around 4:30 a.m.

"Someone must have left a lamp unattended. The entire shantytown has been engulfed. Seven fire brigade engines were deployed. Since all the houses were adjacent to each other, the fire spread out quickly. Somehow fire brigade managed to contain the fire," said Tapan Ghosh, divisional fire officer, Siliguri.

Since all the residents of the colony had gone out to the nearby river to offer prayers on the occasion of Chhat Puja, a major tragedy was averted.

"Everyone had gone out to the river bank for the festival of Chhat celebrations. Someone left a lamp burning which caused the fire to break out," Ajay Prasad, a resident.

The hapless residents have lost whatever little they had saved with their hard-earned money. (ANI)

Please Wait while comments are loading...