New Delhi, Oct 16 (ANI): Union Home Minister P. Chidambaram on Friday said that India remains vulnerable to a Mumbai-style militant attacks because Pakistan is struggling to rein in Islamist groups blamed for last year's deadly assault on that city.
As India prepares for the first anniversary of the Mumbai terror attacks and foreign intelligence reports warn of possible new plots, Chidambaram warned that any new attack would be met with a "swift and decisive" response.
"My assessment of the vulnerability is that it has remained the same since 26/11. It has not diminished nor has it enhanced." Chidambaram said in a rare interview, referring to the terror raids of November 26, 2008.
"If there is another terror threat or a terror attack of the kind we saw in 26/11, India's response will be swift and decisive," he said.
New Delhi has criticised Islamabad for not acting fully against the alleged masterminds of the Mumbai terror attacks.
India wants Pakistan to jail Hafiz Mohammad Saeed, the founder of the outlawed Lashkar-e-Taiba militant group blamed for the attacks.
"Even if they wish to take action against the masterminds of 26/11, the Pakistan Government perhaps do not have the capacity to take action. That incapacity could encourage some wild elements, some rogue elements, to become adventurous," he said.
In September, a television report in Israel said Jerusalem had "pinpoint" intelligence about Pakistani militants attacking India in the weeks ahead.
Chidambaram played down the reports, repeating that risk levels remained the same.
"I'm sure they're planning more attacks, but to what extent there is overt state support. I cannot say," he said. (ANI)