Rawalpindi, Oct.11 (ANI): The Pakistan Army on Sunday said that the attack launched by the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) terrorists on the General Headquarters (GHQ) in Rawalpindi was in its final stages, and confirmed the rescue of 25 hostages.
The Director General of the Inter Services Public Relations (ISPR) department of the Pakistan Army, Major General Athar Abbas, told television channels that the GHQ was being sanitized to ensure that there were not more terrorists inside the highly secured complex.
Unconfirmed reports this morning revealed that two terrorists were still holed up inside the GHQ.
Major General Abbas confirmed that four terrorist had been killed.
He said Pakistani forces had launched a final commando assault this morning and had nabbed the attackers injured team leader named Aqeel alias Dr. Usman.
Major General Abbas said three hostages had been killed in the fierce gun battle.
"After the successful operation 25 hostages have safely been freed, while four terrorists were killed," The News quoted Major General Abbas, as saying.
" One of the terrorist was wearing a suicide jacket to blow himself up to cause maximum damage in case of military operation," he added.
Meanwhile, Interior Minister Rehman Malik has confirmed that the GHQ commando operation is over.
"We had information of terrorists, armed with hand grenades, and a suicide bomber taking 22 personnel hostage in a room. The commandos at the very outset of their skillful launched operation first killed the suicide bomber, saving the situation from leading to any huge loss," Malik said.
He denied any lapse on part of the security forces, saying they had promptly responded to the attack on Saturday morning.
He, however, warned of more such terror attacks in the future.
"There is a threat to the lives of the country's known personalities," Malik added.
Malik pointed out that the GHQ attack was aimed at seeking publicity. (ANI)