London, Oct 8 (ANI): Despite losing immunity from prosecution, Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi's confidence refuses to die out.
In a major blow for 73-year-old Berlusconi, Italy's top court ruled that a law granting him immunity from prosecution while he is in office violates the constitution. The verdict will reopen two trials against him that were suspended.
The scandal-hit premiere has condemned the ruling by the court as politically motivated, reports The Telegraph.
Speaking outside his residence in Rome, he said: "Nothing will happen, we will go forward. The trials they will hurl at me in Milan are real farces. I will take time out from taking care of government to go there and show them to be liars."
He said he felt "invigorated" by the whole affair and ended his statement by shouting "Long live Italy! Long live Berlusconi!"
Berlusconi has attacked Italy's president, the bulk of the media, magistrates and the constitutional court that stripped him of immunity of being leftists scheming against him.
The immunity law, one of Berlusconi's first acts after winning last year's election, halted all the cases against him, including one where he is accused of bribing British lawyer David Mills to give false testimony to protect his businesses.
Two other cases, one accusing him of tax fraud and false accounting in the purchase of TV rights by Mediaset and another alleging he tried to corrupt opposition senators, have also been frozen. Berlusconi denies any wrongdoing. (ANI)