New Delhi, Oct.2 (ANI): The Indian Government on Friday expressed regret over the attack on the Sri Lankan High Commission in the capital.
In a statement issued this evening, a government spokesman said: "We deeply regret this unfortunate incident, which has involved an act of violence against a diplomatic mission. The law enforcement agencies have swung into action. Security around the High Commission premises has been strengthened. Action as prescribed by the law will be taken against the perpetrators of this incident."
Earlier, the Delhi Police said that they were yet to arrest persons responsible for the attack on the Sri Lankan High Commission here this afternoon.
The incident took place around 3 p.m.
A senior police officer when approached by the ANI TV crew at the site, said he could not say anything as no one had been arrested so far, but revealed that the attack and protest was organised by supporters of Tamils in Sri Lanka.
The police officer further said that the mayhem caused at the high commission lasted all of two minutes, well before the police arrived on the scene.
He said that there were about 15 protesters who attacked the diplomatic mission.
Meanwhile, the Sri Lankan Government has expressed its shock over the incident and reportedly taken up the issue with the Indian External Affairs Ministry. (ANI)