Melbourne, Sep 21: India on Monday, Sep 21, expressed its disappointment over Victorian premier John Brumby cancelling his planned visit to Mumbai following terror alert.
Indian Consul-General in Melbourne Anita Nayar said that the premier should have visited Mumbai to send a message that Australians were determined not to be frightened away.
"We would have liked him to visit Mumbai. (But) one can never predict what is going to happen. If he had gone and something happened, everybody would say why did you go?" she said.
Brumby had cancelled his visit after Australia's foreign affairs department on Friday, Sep 18, issued a travel advisory warning about the possibility of attacks in Mumbai.
Brumby said, "We need to be guided by advice that comes from DFAT. That advice came in last week and over the weekend. The unanimous view of the Victoria Police, my department head and my office was that I should change my program and I've done that."
Brumby is scheduled to attend an AFL Grand Final event and visit a Commonwealth Games site in Delhi on Saturday, Sep 26.