Pretoria, Sep 20: The chief of Athletics South Africa has finally admitted that he lied about gender tests on 18-year-old runner Caster Semenya before the World Athletics Championships in Berlin last month.
"Tests were done on Aug 7, at the recommendation of the association's doctor, we don't know the results yet," Athletics South Africa president Leonard Chuene told a media conference here.
"I can no longer stand before you and say that I am not aware of gender tests conducted on Caster Semenya," Chuene told a press conference.
"I felt that at the time I was acting in the best interests of Caster Semenya as a person. I believed at the time my consistent denials would help protect her. "I was not going to stop her talent because of rumours," he added.
"On what basis should I have withdrawn her? My only crime committed was to take a decision that she must run, and she won. Tell me someone who has not lied to protect a child."
Chuene had maintained that no tests had been conducted on the masculine 18-year-old athlete, who has been the subject of a controversial sex row since winning a gold medal in the 800m race at the IAAF games.