Racial attack on Indians, Oz police launches probe

Subscribe to Oneindia News

Australia Map
Melbourne, Sep 16: Victorian Police on Wednesday, Sep 16, said that it has launched probe into the racial attack that took place on Sep 15, in which three Indians were brutally assaulted by 70 locals here.

Dismissing the allegation by relatives of the victims that a group of 70 people attacked the three Indians, it said only four men were involved in the assault and a group of up to 20 were bystanders.

"Four men had been involved in the actual assault and a group of up to 20 had been bystanders," Acting Senior Sergeant Glenn Parker was quoted as saying by 'The Age'.

A Victoria Police spokeswoman said, "Police had witnessed about 15 men and women making racist comments and one woman was throwing water on a bystander during the heated incident."

Four men were arrested and interviewed in this connection but have been released for further investigations, police said.

26-year-old Sukhdip Singh, who arrived here a month ago on a spouse visa, his brother Gurdeep Singh and uncle Mukhtair Singh were attacked by a group of Australians.

OneIndia News

Please Wait while comments are loading...