UK releases top suspected terrorist: Report

Subscribe to Oneindia News

United Kingdom
London, Sep 7: The British government has released a top suspected terrorist from house arrest, a media report said on Monday, Sep 7.

The unnamed man has been closely monitored and his movements severely restricted since 2006 because of his alleged links with Islamic terrorists, although he has never been charged, the Times said.

"His control order, which confines him to his home for 16 hours a day, was revoked last week and his electronic monitoring tag removed, despite government claims that he remains a threat," the newspaper said.

The report also said that the man, who has dual Libyan and British nationality, was one of three suspects who won a landmark legal ruling in Jul 2009 that their control order was illegal.

The man's solicitor received a letter last month saying that the Home Secretary Alan Johnson was revoking the control order, although no reason was given, according to the Times.

OneIndia News

Please Wait while comments are loading...