Vankal Village (Gujarat), Sep 1 (ANI): An elephant stood guard near the body of its electrocuted mahout for hours in Vankal village in Gujarat.
The incident took place at Vankal village of Navsari district, when the mahout, Lachhu Kevat, was electrocuted to death while sitting on his elephant, Madhumati.
The rare display of affection and devotion moved the villagers who tried hard to calm the elephant and lower the body down its back.
"The elephant was entering the village but its mahout died of electric shock from a cable. The elephant then entered the village quickly and the villagers saw that its mahout had died and stopped the elephant by giving it food. They then called the officials," said Bhupendra Nayak, Forest Official.
The villagers could bring down Lachhu Kevat's body from the elephant's back only late evening. (ANI)