New Delhi, Aug 27: K Shanthanam's statement on the 1998 Pokhran nuclear tests failed get much attention from the government, which found very little merit to the claim that the test had not met the country's strategic objective.
When asked to respond to the senior DRDO's scientist's statement, the Home Minister P Chidambaram said, "Somebody has made a statement. I was puzzled by the statement. If you are not puzzled, you are a genius."
Maintaining a dismissive attitude, Chidambaram, said that the government will find out the veracity of Santhanam's statement.
Earlier, National Security Advisor, Brajesh Mishra contested the scientist's version stating that Department of Atomic Energy had told him on May 13, 1998 that all parameters had been met in the five tests conducted.
Navy Chief Admiral Sureesh Mehta also said that India's nuclear deterrence capabilities were 'proven and capable enough' and there was no need to carry out further tests.
On Wednesday, Aug 26 Shanthanam, a senior scientist and representative at Pokhran II described the test as a frizzle and not a big bang, and asked India not to sign CTBT.