According to the Times Now channel, there was a perceived lack of unity among the party leadership and the BJP squarely failed to advertise its agenda among the general public.
The report also says the projection of Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi as the prime ministerial candidate by certain members of the party and the personal attack on the Prime Minister, Dr Manmohan Singh (which did not go down well with the people), were key factors in contributing to the BJP's electoral loss.
According to report, the other factors responsible were
- The highlighting of the Varun Gandhi issue, which pushed aside the other main issues;
- The party failed to assess the public mood in Haryana and conceded a virtual walkover to the Congress.
- Elections were lost in Delhi even before campaigning began.
- The BJP failed to corner the Congress on 26/11 and
- Allowing the Congress and the media to corner the BJP on the Kandahar hijack issue.
According to the channel, the internal report apparently targets issues and not individuals.