Sydney, Aug. 16 (ANI): The discovery of the body of a Chinese man on the south coast of New South Wales is the latest in a series of disappearances and murders involving Asian victims in the state.
Police have confirmed that the body was that of a 27-year-old Chinese man who had been missing since March. The case is being treated as a homicide, the Sydney Morning Herald reports.
Detective Superintendent John Alt from the State Crime Command's Asian Crime Squad said police were now in contact with the man's family but would not say if his visa entitled him to work or study in Australia.
Police were not able to say how long the body had been at the site, but Alt said inquiries had been under way since two friends reported him missing.
Police are investigating a series of cases involving the disappearance of Asian students and business figures in Sydney since November.
Businesswoman Wei Chen, 39, went missing from her home in Lidcombe three weeks ago. Her dark blue Mercedes-Benz sedan was found unlocked with the keys in the ignition near Belmore railway station on July 17.
Asian Crime Squad investigators also appeared no closer to finding the killers of two Chinese women who worked as part-time prostitutes after arriving on student and tourist visas last year.
The bodies of the women, whose names have only been given as "Susan" and "Jenny", were discovered in the rented first floor unit in Queen Street, Auburn, on November 13.
Their killer had cut both their throats. (ANI)