New York, Aug 13: The family of the first Swine Flu death in New York on Wednesday Aug 12, have filed a case in court with the intention of suing the local government for $40 million, news reports said.
Assistant Principal Mitch Wiener at a Queens school died of Swine Flu in May 2009. His was the first death reported in the US.
The CBS television network said, "Wiener's wife and three sons plan to sue City Hall and its health and education departments for not taking faster steps in closing more schools."
CBS also said, "The lawsuit claimed City Hall was negligent in failing to quickly report the influenza outbreak and failing to warn Wiener that he had been exposed to the H1N1."