Brisbane, Aug.11 (ANI): A Brisbane judge has ruled that former Bundaberg and Indian-born surgeon Jayant Patel will face six charges in a single trial.
In the Queensland Supreme Court on Tuesday, Justice Peter Lyons ruled Patel, 59, would face the three manslaughter and two grievous bodily harm charges at the one trial.
According to the Sydney Morning Herald, Justice Lyons also ruled that Patel would also face an alternative charge of negligent acts causing harm during the same trial.
Justice Lyons said he would not be making his reasons public but did offer both parties a written copy of the judgment.
The charges all relate to Patel's time as director of surgery at Bundaberg Base Hospital between 2003 and 2005.
Crown prosecutor Ross Martin SC has previously argued to the court that the charges needed to be heard together.
"There is a cohesiveness about this collection of offences that effectively makes them a series," Mr Martin told the court in June.
Patel was committed to stand trial after a three-week hearing in the Brisbane Magistrates Court in April.
He was not present at the judgment on Tuesday. The matter will be mentioned again in the Supreme Court on Friday. (ANI)