Hyderabad, Aug 9: An organiser of the world championship said on Sunday, Aug 7 that England has pulled out of the World Badminton Championships over security concerns which was scheduled to begin on Monday, Aug 10 in Hyderabad.
The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said that a statement would be issued later detailing the reasons behind the withdrawal.
There were reports earlier by the Intelligence Bureau (IB) to the state authorities that terror elements would attempt to strike at the international players as they did against Sri Lankan cricketers in Pakistan recently.
Top ranked badminton players are scheduled to take part in the world championships which is intended to be held at Gatchibowli from Aug 10 to 16. Over 200 players from all over the world and their support staff had already arrived.