New Delhi, Aug 8 (ANI): Home Minister P. Chidambaram on Saturday said that the World Badminton Championships will take place in complete security and there was no need to have any apprehensions.
"The alert in Hyderabad was based on information shared with the state police in a routine manner. There is no specific information that points to any imminent threat to the championship in Hyderabad. Nevertheless, the state police has taken all measures necessary to fully secure the tournament and ensure the safety of every player," he said.
Earlier in the day, the Andhra Pradesh police said that there is no specific threat to the championships, which will be held at G.M.C.Balayogi Stadium from August 10 to 16.
According to a police official, they did not have any specific report of terror threat in any part of the city.
According to sources, Intelligence Bureau sleuths visited the stadium to take stock of the situation.
The championships has been enveloped in a security blanket, following the Intelligence Bureau's alert on possible terror strike.
The IB informed the state police that terror elements would attempt to strike at international players as they did against Sri Lankan cricketers in Pakistan recently.
Over 200 players from all over the world and their support staff have already arrived in Hyderabad.
Security around the venue has been beefed up by deploying special teams with metal detectors and sniffer dogs at various points. Round the clock armed escort has been provided to all the players participating in the tournament, sources said. (ANI)