SBI bank, Tata Motors, Indian Oil Corporation, Sahara India and its promoter Subroto Roy, along with stock broker late Harshad Mehta and his associates and other brokers like AD Narrotam and Hiten Dalal are named in the defaulters list.
Hassan Ali Khan, the 56-year-old stud-farm owner tops the defaulters list with arrear of more than Rs 50,000 crore.
The defaulters and how much they owe to the treasury are listed below:
- SBI - Rs 333.6
- Tata Motors - Rs 206.5 crore
- Indian Oil Corporation - Rs 210.3 crore
- Sahara promoter, Subroto Roy - Rs 230 crore
From the Public Sector:
- BSNL - Rs 2,417 crore
- NTPC - Rs 622 crore
- VSNL (now Tata Communications Ltd) - Rs 505.5 crore
- Coca Cola India - Rs 600 crore
- Baron International - Rs 589 crore
- Oracle Corporation- Rs 558 crore
- Rolex Holding Ltd - Rs 558 crore
- Aaditya Luxury Hotels- Rs 564 crore
- Reliance Energy - Rs 176 crore
Nokia, Daewoo Motors, Bunge India Ltd, Tata Industries, Satyam Computers and IBM Pvt Ltd too have been named on the list.
These tax demands also include those which are difficult to recover for various reasons like demands notified under Special Court, inadequate assets and companies under litigation, Mr Palanimanickam said.