Pak SC indefinitely adjourns trial of 26/11 mastermind Hafiz Saeed

Subscribe to Oneindia News

Islamabad, Aug. 3 (ANI): Pakistan's Supreme Court on Monday indefinitely adjourned the trial of Hafiz Saeed, the mastermind behind the Mumbai terror attacks.

Despite the submission of the fourth dossier on the Mumbai terror attacks to Pakistan's Deputy High Commissioner to India, Rifat Masood, Pakistan has apparently let of Saeed.

Speaking to the media, Saeed's lawyer A K Dogar said: "He will continue as free man, he can do whatever he likes. He is doing his duties at the second most important mosque in the country. I tell the while country, Saeed opened 160 schools from sources of JuD, 52 madraasas and 4 universities. I am elated to say that a girl from the JuD Girls' High school, topped the list of all the boards."

Saeed was released from detention about two months ago.

Recently, Pakistan's Interior Adviser Rehman Malik had said that there was 'not enough proof' of Saeed's involvement in the 26/11 carnage, so the alleged mastermind could not be put behind bars.

Union Home Minister P Chidambaram on Saturday said that India has given sufficient evidence to Pakistan to prosecute Saeed for his involvement in Mumbai terror attacks that claimed 166 lives.

Chidambaram had said the three dossiers that India has so far handed over to Pakistan on the 26/11 attacks was enough proof to nail Saeed.

On Saturday, the Ministry of External Affairs on Saturday handed over the fourth dossier on Mumbai terror attacks to Pakistan"s Deputy High Commissioner to India, Rifat Masood.

It may be noted that a full bench of the Lahore High Court ordered the release from house arrest of Saeed, the prime accused of the November 2008 Mumbai attacks, on the basis of a habeas corpus petition filed by his lawyer. The high court said that it had not received substantial evidence to continue his detention.

The Lahore High Court also ordered the release of another Jamaat-ud-Dawa leader, Colonel (retired) Nazir Ahmad.

Pakistan Attorney General had earlier told the Lahore High Court, that the government had enough proof against Saeed to warrant extension of his arrest, but could not produce that evidence in court. He had also said that Saeed had undeniable links with the Al Qaeda. (ANI)

Please Wait while comments are loading...