India hands over fourth dossier on Mumbai terror attacks to Pak

Subscribe to Oneindia News

New Delhi, Aug. 1 (ANI): The Ministry of External Affairs on Saturday handed over the fourth dossier on Mumbai terror attacks to Pakistan's Deputy High Commissioner to India, Rifat Masood.

The fourth dossier, prepared by the Home Ministry, aims at clarifying Pakistan's specific doubts.

According to sources, the seven-page dossier, comprising 60 pages of annexures contains records of calls made to Mumbai attackers, and lone captured 26/11 terrorist, Ajmal Amir Kasab's statements made in court.

The material reportedly contains "detailed information" about the investigation and legal evidence regarding the 26/11 attacks carried out by Pakistan-based Lashkar-e-Toiba outfit.

Earlier in the day, Union Home Minister P Chidambaram had said that India has given sufficient evidence to Pakistan to prosecute Jamaat-ud-Dawah (JuD) chief Hafiz Saeed for his involvement in last year's Mumbai terror attacks.

Chidambaram said the three dossiers that India has so far handed over to Pakistan on the 26/11 attacks was enough proof to nail Saeed.

He added that his ministry had prepared a seven-page response to Pakistan's latest queries on 26/11 attack case.

The response contains answers to Islamabad's latest queries, which were of a routine nature, he added.

It may be noted that a full bench of the Lahore High Court ordered the release from house arrest of Saeed, the prime accused of the November 2008 Mumbai attacks, on the basis of a habeas corpus petition filed by his lawyer. The high court said that it had not received substantial evidence to continue his detention.

The Lahore High Court also ordered the release of another Jamaat-ud-Dawa leader, Colonel (retired) Nazir Ahmad.

Saeed was put under house arrest on December 11 last year, and his release was made after five months and 20 days.

Pakistan Attorney General had earlier told the Lahore High Court, that the government had enough proof against Saeed to warrant extension of his arrest, but could not produce that evidence in court. He had also said that Saeed had undeniable links with the Al Qaeda.

On July 28, Pakistan Interior Advisor Rehman Malik said there was 'enough proof' to put Saeed behind bars.

"There is 'not enough proof' of Saeed's involvement in the 26/11 carnage, so the alleged mastermind could not be put behind bars," Malik had said.

Responding to reporters' queries on the Lalgarh issue, Chidambaram said the situation in West Bengal's Maoist-infested area is still "unstable".

"We have made it clear to all States that while CPMFs will be available for deployment, such deployment cannot be for an indefinite period, and that State Police Forces would have to take over the responsibility of maintaining law and order as soon as possible," he said. (ANI)

Please Wait while comments are loading...