Lahore, July 28 (ANI): Pakistan has denied arresting Jamaat-ud-Daawa (JuD) chief Hafiz Saeed, in connection with the November 2008 Mumbai terror attacks.
Interior Advisor Rehman Malik said there is 'not enough proof' of Saeed's involvement in the 26/11 carnage, so the alleged mastermind could not be put behind bars.
Malik said Islamabad has asked New Delhi to provide details of Indian citizens convicted in the Mumbai attacks, The Daily Times reports.
It may be noted that a full bench of the Lahore High Court ordered the release from house arrest of Saeed, the prime accused of the November 2008 Mumbai attacks, on the basis of a habeas corpus petition filed by his lawyer. The high court said that it had not received substantial evidence to continue his detention.
The Lahore High Court also ordered the release of another Jamaat-ud-Dawa leader, Colonel (retired) Nazir Ahmad.
Saeed was put under house arrest on December 11 last year, and his release was made after five months and 20 days.
Pakistan Attorney General had earlier told the Lahore High Court, that the government had enough proof against Saeed to warrant extension of his arrest, but could not produce that evidence in court. He had also said that Saeed had undeniable links with the Al Qaeda. (ANI)