Mumbai, July 23 (ANI): Abbas Kazmi, the lawyer of the lone survivor of the Mumbai attack, Ajaml Amir Kasab has decided continue as the defence lawyer in the 26/11 terror attack case after a mediation by Public Prosecutor Ujjawal Nikam.
Earlier in the day Kazmi had informed the court that he wanted to quit defending Kasab, as his client had lost faith in him.
However, Kazmi later changed his mind and agreed to continue with the case after Nikam mediated between Kazmi and Kasab.
Though Nikam had earlier termed Kazmi's withdrawal as a drama, he later agreed to mediate between Kasab and his lawyer on the court's request.
Judge M. L.Tahiliani initially tried to convince Kazmi and explained to him how inappropriate it would be for him to withdraw from the case at this stage. Tahiliani also instructed Kasav to talk to his lawyer and sort out their misunderstandings.
Nikam told reporters that it is not the first incident where a public prosecutor has mediated between a defence lawyer and his client.
Earlier in the day, the court stated that Kasab's guilty plea will be placed on record and the trial will continue. The court also said that the guilty plea would be considered again at an appropriate stage of the trial. (ANI)