Karachi, July 22 (ANI): The death toll in Tuesday's building collapse has reached 13 with rescue workers recovering more bodies from the rubble on Wednesday.
The four storey building, situated in a densely-populated neighbouhood of Liaquatabad in the central district of city, collapsed in the late hours on Tuesday.
More casualties are feared as the rescue work is still going on.
Two persons were pulled out alive from the debris almost eight hours after the collapse.
"We started this rescue and cleaning work last night which we expect to finish by the evening today. We have pulled out 13 bodies so far. We also pulled out two victims, one man named Farooq who was still alive after we pulled him out as late as eight hours following the collapse. The other victim was a 15-year old boy who was pulled out by residents of the area," said rescue official Qurban Qazi.
The bodies and injured were moved to two government hospitals. Doctor in charge of one hospital said he had received nine bodies and one injured man who died later in the hospital.
The cause of the collapse is still not clear, but a witness said the building contractor was warned time and again for using substandard building material. (ANI)