Kasab's trial adjourned till Wednesday

Subscribe to Oneindia News

Mumbai, July 21 (ANI): A special court on Tuesday adjourned the hearing of the Ajmal Amir Kasab case till Wednesday after prosecution sought time to file its reply on Kasab's confession.

Special Public Prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam told the court that he wanted a day's time to file a reply on the confession.

"The prosecution has not finished producing all its evidence and could choose to produce all of it despite Kasab's decision to plead guilty as his confession may not be enough evidence against him," Nikam told the court.

Confessing before the court, Kasab today said that he and his slain partner Abu Ismail were directed to start firing indiscriminately at the Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus (CST), take hostages and attack those policemen who tried to rescue the hostages.

Meanwhile, Kasab's defence lawyer Abbas Kazmi said that his client's admissions could not be treated as confession to the crime.

"Kasab was merely replying to the questions asked by the judge. This can't be treated as confession to the crime. The mention of Indian link needed to be probed," he said.

"Judge could either accept the plea to end the trial or pronounce the sentence or reject it," he added.

Kasab had pleaded guilty to the offence before a Mumbai court on Monday. or the first time in his confession, Kasab said, "Mujhe mera gunha kabool hai (I plead guilty to my crime)."

Narrating the entire plot, he confessed that he came along with nine other terrorists in a boat from Karachi.

Kasab also owned up for his involvement in the 26/11 terror attacks at the CST and at Cama Hospital.

He named Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) operative and alleged mastermind Zakir-ur-Rehman Lakhvi a key conspirator, saying he was instructed to conduct a fidayeen (suicide) attack in Mumbai.

The trial in the terror attacks case is likely to be completed before Diwali in October, Special Judge M L Tahilyani indicated on July 16.

Until now, over 133 of the total 150 witnesses have been examined in the different cases of the 26/11 attacks filed against Kasab.

Kasab has been charged with murder, conspiracy and waging war against India along with other crimes. His trial was to have started on April 15 but was put off as his lawyer, Anjali Waghmare, had been dismissed for a conflict of interest. He has sicne been represented by a new lawyer named Abbas Kazmi.

Kasab is the only attacker captured alive by police and is currently in custody. He was captured on CCTV during his attacks at the CST along with another terrorist, Ismail Khan.

The Government of Pakistan initially denied that Kasab was from Pakistan, but in January 2009, it officially accepted that he was a Pakistani citizen.

Kasab' s confession came two days after the Pakistan Government filed a chargesheet against five 26/11 prime accused suspects. (ANI)

Please Wait while comments are loading...