Mumbai, July 20 (ANI): Ajmal Amir Kasab, the lone surviving terrorist involved the terror attacks in Mumbai on November 26, 2008, which claimed near 180 lives and maimed over 300, on Monday, pleaded guilty to the offence before a Mumbai court.
For the first time in his confession, Kasab said, "Mujhe mera gunha kabool hai (I plead guilty to my crime)."
Narrating the entire plot, he confessed that he came along with nine other terrorists in a boat from Karachi.
Kasab also owned up for his involvement in the 26/11 terror attacks at the Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus (CST) and at Cama Hospital.
He named Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) operative and alleged mastermind Zakir-ur-Rehman Lakhvi a the key conspirator, saying he was instructed to conduct a fidayeen (suicide) attack in Mumbai.
Special Public Prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam said: "Admission was all of a sudden. Kasab has admitted to all the crimes against him."
Terming this a victory of the prosecution and the police, Maharashtra Chief Minister Ashok Chavan said, "Judicial process must now be expedited."
The trial in the terror attacks case is likely to be completed before Diwali in October, Special Judge M L Tahilyani indicated on July 16.
Until now, over 133 of the total 150 witnesses have been examined in the different cases of the 26/11 attacks filed against Kasab.
Kasab has been charged with murder, conspiracy and waging war against India along with other crimes. His trial was to have started on April 15 but was put off as his lawyer, Anjali Waghmare, had been dismissed for a conflict of interest. He has sicne been represented by a new lawyer named Abbas Kazmi.
Kasab is the only attacker captured alive by police and is currently in custody. He was captured on CCTV during his attacks at the CST along with another terrorist, Ismail Khan.
The Government of Pakistan initially denied that Kasab was from Pakistan, but in January 2009, it officially accepted that he was a Pakistani citizen.
Kasab' s confession came two days after the Pakistan Government filed a chargesheet against five 26/11 prime accused suspects.
The hearing into the case will begin on July 25 in the special anti-terror court that has been set-up in the Adiala jail for the purpose.
The chargesheet includes the names of Lashkar's operation chief Zakir-ur-Rehman Lakhvi and Jamaat-ud-Dawaa (JuD) chief Hafiz Mohammad Saeed.
Sources said that the names of all of the accused figure in the chargesheet.
It is the first time that Islamabad has admitted the use of its soil and given documentary proof of Pakistani terrorists being involved in the 26/11 carnage.
Pakistan, prior to the filing of the chargesheet, confirmed that it has handed over a fresh 36-page dossier to India regarding the Mumbai attacks.
The dossier reportedly indicates that the LeT carried out the Mumbai attacks. It names Lakhvi as the "mastermind" of the attack, and also admits the Pakistan nationality of Kasab. (ANI)