Ahmedabad, July 13 (ANI): The hooch tragedy in Ahmedabad was caused by the mixing of a huge quantity of methyl alcohol with the spurious liquor, doctors have said.
"Methanol, which is not for human consumption, was found in large quantity in the patients who were admitted to the civil hospital after consuming spurious liquor," Assistant administrator of civil hospital Dr Gautam Sharma said.
The post-mortem report of the bodies, which were brought from other hospitals to civil hospital, has also confirmed presence of methanol in high quantity, he added.
Directorate of Forensic Science, Gandhinagar, where the samples of the hooch tragedy victims and the spurious liquor has been sent for tests, is yet to submit its report.
"We will be submitting the report on the sample received by us in a day or two," said Dr J M Vyas, Director of Forensic Science Laboratory.
Methanol, a colourless liquid with a mild alcoholic odour, is not meant for human consumption. Ethanol is used in different quantities for liquor.
The crime branch is investigating from where bootleggers managed to source Methanol in such a large quantity, though it is not available in open market.
As part of the subsequent action following the hooch tragedy, the state police cracked down on dens manufacturing illicit liquor across the state.
Eight people, including three women, who were responsible for supplying the spurious brew to Majoor Gam and Odhav areas have been arrested and are being questioned.
Police are also in search of one Vinod Chauhan alias Dagri from Mahemdabad in Kheda district, who allegedly manufactured the spurious liquor and supplied it to the city.
The state government has also suspended 10 police officials for negligence. (ANI)