London, Jul 9 (ANI): For years, Britain's biggest UFO mystery had been kept under wraps, but now an Air Force official has admitted that an "extra-terrestrial" craft did visit the air base at Rendlesham Forest in 1980.
Former Deputy Base Commander Col Charles Halt claimed that even though the incident was later covered up, "extra-terrestrials" had been the cause of the close encounter in Suffolk.
Halt had led a group of airmen who reported seeing a triangular UFO taking off into the air, leaving traces of radiation behind.
"The UFOs I saw were structured machines moving under intelligent control and operating beyond the realm of anything I have ever seen before or since," the Daily Star quoted Col Halt, now retired, as telling investigator Gary Heseltine.
"I believe the objects that I saw at close quarters were extra-terrestrial in origin," he said.
He added that the Air Force later issued "dis-information" to throw the public off the scent.
His comments were hailed as "sensational" by former Ministry of Defence UFO investigator Nick Pope.
"This may help us to finally solve Britain's biggest UFO mystery," Pope said.
"It blows the MoD's line that these events had 'no defence significance' out of the water," he added. (ANI)